Remove Pet Odours from Carpet
Is it Possible to Remove Pet Odours from Carpet?
Although pets bring lots of joy and love to our lives, there’s no doubt about it, pets can be stinky whether it’s the messes they make or even just their regular fur. Often these odours linger forever. One of the most frequently asked questions we get is: is it possible to remove pet odours from carpet? The answer is yes, and we can help, after all no one wants their carpets and homes to smell like a stinky pet. Here are some steps you can take to help on how to get rid of urine smell and remove pet odours from your carpets.
Helpful Tips to Remove Pet Odours from Carpet:
- Vacuum your carpets regularly and thoroughly to remove unwanted pet fur, dander and dirt. Wash dog beds and furniture slip covers.
- If your pet has an accident or vomits, clean up as much of the mess as quickly as possible, and blot with towels to remove as much moisture as possible. You don’t want any pet urine to soak down into the carpet pad or under layer, because not only will the odour linger, but things like mould and bacteria can begin to grow. In order to fully remove pet odours from carpet, no trace of the mess can be left behind, which is often difficult to do without the help of professional cleaners.
- If your pet continues to make messes on your carpet, talk to the veterinarian to see if your pet is sick. Clean litter boxes often, and lay down towels or absorbent pads to protect your carpet.
- Try enzyme cleaners or homemade pet urine odor eliminator. Enzyme cleaners can help to remove pet odours from carpet by breaking down the proteins in the odour. However not all of these cleaners are effective, and some contain chemicals that can set stains and odours in your carpet for good. For regular smells, you can try sprinkling baking soda on your carpet, let it sit overnight, then vacuum it up. You can also try using vinegar, but if your carpet is wool, you never want to put an acid based cleaner or deodorizer on it.
- Unfortunately enzyme cleaners, baking soda, and vinegar will generally not remove all of the smells pets leave behind because these are all topical solutions. More often the lingering odours are deeper in your carpet than a home vacuum or home remedy can get rid of. No matter how much you clean, it’s almost impossible to remove the entire smell. This is a sign that it’s time for the professionals.
Carpet Cleaning Perth can help! We can remove pet odours from carpet, and we use nontoxic solutions so they are safe for everyone in your home, including your pets.
If you’re interested in learning how harmful it can be to breathe in pet urine, how to remove pet odours from carpet, or generally how to remove odor from carpet call us at (08) 6311 4082.